Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Monica & Brandy - It All Belongs To Me

Yesterday Brandy and Monica released their brand new single “It All Belongs To Me”. Its kind of a follow up to their 1998 chart topping, Grammy winning, hit single “The Boy Is Mine”… I tried to keep this blog entry as short as possible because I’m a really big fan of both Brandy and Monica and I could go all day talking about them. With that being said ill get right to it. Upon listening to the song for the first time it wasn’t as good as I thought it would be, but after giving it a 2nd and 3rd listen I really started to like it. It’s definitely a song that grows on you. The melody from the guitar and the keyboard is beautiful and the sound is nice overall. It has an old school R&B feel to it but it’s still relevant. Both ladies’ vocals are simply amazing. Brandy’s tone is unmatched by anyone in the music game past or present (in my opinion) and her vocal runs are one of a kind. And Monica really showcases her power and range with this track. You definitely hear the growth in their overall vocals in comparison to “TBIM”… These are my only two complaints. For one, I think the use of the explicit language could hurt the appeal of the song. Yes, I’m fully aware that just about everyone uses that kind of language in music today but I still think it could do the song harm. Hopefully it won’t. My second and major complaint is the use of the Facebook reference. Using current “lingo” in songs completely dates your music! Facebook is on top of the world at the moment but who knows what’s going to happen in a few years. Did no one learn from MySpace?! But I kind of blame that on the writer and producer of the song Rico Love. I know he was just trying to be relevant but there’s definitely other ways of doing it... Overall I think the song is really good and definitely has the potential to be a big hit for the both of them. The one thing people shouldn’t do (though I know they will) is compare it to “The Boy Is Mine”. That was a great record in and of itself and it set pretty high standards but you have to try and let the two songs be separate. When listening to the song ask yourself, ‘How would I feel about this if “The Boy Is Mine” never existed’? Comment and give me your feedback. Id love to hear what you think!



The single will be available to purchase on 2/14 and will be featured on both Monica and Brandy's upcoming album.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, the lingo is so annoying! And the language is so unnecessary. I like both of these ladies but this song I give a thumbs down.

    ReplyDelete