Friday, March 2, 2012

fun. - Carry On


I hate when I’m wrong. So much so, that I rarely, if ever, will actually admit it. Take notice … I was wrong. When my bffff (the extra f’s don’t mean anything but I like to add them anyway) told me to listen to fun. (no, that’s not a typo – it’s how they spell it) I was not overly excited about their music. There was only one song out of 15 that I could stand to listen to. One song turned to 2 which turned 5 which turned to 7. Fast forward 7 months later and I’m staring at iTunes waiting for their 2nd album to be released. So yes, I was wrong and fun. is good. Really good. Some Nights, which was released two weeks ago, is a rare exception where the sophomore album outshines the debut. It contains a great mix of infectious upbeat “popish” songs and slower, more alternative style ballads. fun. excels at combining really random unique sounds and making them blend together to create their half pop/half alternative style. The lead singer, Nate Ruess, has an incredible vocal range that stretches up into those high falsetto notes most artists use autotune for (P.S. Go listen to their acoustic sessions on youtube if you don’t believe those notes are real). Obviously, the breakout single from this album is “We Are Young,” an anthem made famous by Glee, but there are plenty of other songs that could be potential hit singles. My top 3 would have to be “Carry On,” “Out On The Town,” and the title track “Some Nights.” “Carry On” might have the edge just because the lyrics are awesome. Seriously, the line “May your past be the sound of your feet on the ground/Carry on” … pure lyrical genius right there. Combine the lyrics with the beautiful piano intro at the beginning and the closing beat and fun. has themselves one heck of a song. So take home lesson is don’t judge music based on your first encounter with it. Give it time and you might find something you would regret not listening to. Oh, and I guess listen to your friend’s suggestion.  Carry on. - Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment