Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SafetySuit - These Times


I’ve been a fan of SafetySuit since their debut single “Stay”, but I wasn’t to keen on their first album. The other tracks on it just didn’t seem to match the level of their first single. But after hearing the song “Let Go” for their follow up album “These Times”, I was once again excited for their new record. And this time around it wasn’t a let down. Working with guys like Ryan Tedder, (of One Republic) they were able to make, what i feel, is the first must-have record of 2012. You can see where Tedder had a good influence on the direction of the album, but at the same time, they were still able to remain themselves as a band, which I think makes the album so good. That, along with the incredible vocals and writing skills of front man Doug Brown, help make this a stand out album of the year, so far. He has a brilliant way of writing songs with not only great story lines but also uplifting messages.... I really hope they start playing more SafetySuit on the radio because these guys definitely deserve the airplay.

Here’s my quick review of each track from the album:
  1. Believe – A strong opening to the album. The very powerful, almost anthemic, chorus really makes the song stand out and makes you stop and listen.
  2. Get Around This – I wasn’t originally a fan of this song the first time I heard it on the radio but after listening to it on the album its pretty good. I really like the violins in the background.
  3. Let Go – The first single from the album. Not really much to say, accept that I love it. Great work from Ryan Tedder, from the lyrics to the production.
  4. Staring At It – This has SafetySuit's signature style, great vocal and a big stadium feel to it but its just not quite as good as other tracks on the album.
  5. These Times – This is kind of their album’s “F**king Perfect” by P!nk, but SafetySuit style. It’s a beautiful song with a great message. Something we all need to hear at times.
  6. Never Stop – This song delivers one of the best vocals by front man Doug Brown on the album. I think that’s really what makes the song so good. Along with the great lyrics… If this was slowed down or done acoustically, I think it would make a beautiful wedding song.
  7. One Time – This track is my personal favorite from the album. I think it mainly has to do with the breakdown during the bridge. From the chord progression to, again, an amazing vocal by Doug Brown. The song is just incredible.
  8. Crash – Probably my least favorite song on the album. Just sounds like a typical rock song to me.
  9. Stranger – The chord progression in the chorus of this track is really what makes it stand out for me. I really like it and it just has a classic SafetySuit feel to it. Almost reminiscent of there song "Stay".
  10.  Things To Say – This is a slight departure from the rest of the feel of the album but it’s not bad. If it was slowed down a bit it sounds more like something you’d hear from Keith Urban or Brad Paisley.
  11. Life In The Pain – This song proves again the impeccable writing skills of Doug Brown. Its simply amazing. Great song and a great choice for ending the album.


Like them on Facebook and click here to purchase their album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment