Monday, October 22, 2012

Brandy - Two Eleven (Track-By-Track Review)

So I know I haven’t been blogging for a while. I took another unplanned hiatus but I’m getting back into the swing of things and I’m super excited for my first blog post in (what feels like) forever to be on one of my favorite artist... Brandy!!!... She just released her sixth studio album Two Eleven about a week ago and its been getting rave reviews everywhere. It’s definitely a return to the core R&B sound that we love Brandy for but it also has an updated and futuristic quality to it. If you’re a fan of her albums Full Moon and Never Say Never (and what true Brandy fan isn’t) you’re going to be more than happy with the new album. Overall I think it’s a great body of work and a very strong comeback for her. As a true Brandy fan I was pleased… But here’s my breakdown of it
  1. Intro – A nice instrumental beat that’s a pretty good precursor for what’s to come.
  2. Wildest Dreams – I did a post about this track when it was first released. I loved it the instant I heard it and its definitely one of my favorites from the album. From the beat to the lyrics this song is just plain good music... You can check out the cover i did of this song here.
  3. So Sick – This song had to grow on me but now that it has I love it.  The beat is really what’s ‘sick’. The bright keys mixed with the dark synths and Brandy’s airy, smooth vocals, make for a very futuristic R&B sound. Well done to Mr. Bangladesh for this stand out track.
  4. Slower – This track definitely continues with that new R&B sound and again it’s done well. I wouldn’t really consider it a highlight of the album but its good enough to keep you anticipating what’s next.
  5. No Such Thing As To Late – What does come next is a ballad type track with a great message. Like a typical ballad, the song builds as it goes. By the second chorus you can really hear the commanding tone in Brandy’s voice and her belief in what she’s singing. Over all I think it’s a great track
  6. Let Me Go – I wouldn’t be surprised if this is soon to be a single. It’s a club banger that is sure to get everyone’s attention. I prefer the verses to the actual hook, because that’s where all the melody is, but the hook is catchy and in this day and age that’s what people cling to.
  7. Without You – This is my absolute favorite song on the album. Brandy sings her butt off! Every time I hear this I just sit back in awe lol. The key progression is hauntingly beautiful and leaves you wanting more. This song more than gets my vote for the next single!!
  8. Put It Down – I already did a post on this track as well. Its gone on to become Brandy’s first top ten hit in 10 years so not much more to say but great job.
  9. Hardly Breathing – My second favorite track from the album. The harmonies in the chorus are beautiful and signature Brandy style. Her overall vocal on this track is just flawless.
  10. Do You Know What You Have – This seems to be a pretty popular song among the starz (Brandy fans), but I just haven’t been able to get into it. Its not bad but nothing special either
  11. Scared Of Beautiful – Once I listened to this track the whole way through I fell in love with it. Brandy again delivers a flawless vocal and the beat is so different you can’t help but like it.
  12. Wish Your Love Away – Honestly I would have liked if the album ended on this song. It has just the right energy to close out an epic compilation of work. This really reminds me of Brandy from 98. I don’t why, but I just get that vibe. I love the song
  13. Paint This House – Not a bad song but it just doesn’t strike a chord with me.
  14. Outro – I don’t know who created this but it sounds like something that could have come from Timbaland (but I know it didn’t). Either way it’s a nice ending and sort of Brandy’s way of saying, “there’s so much more to come”.
Comment and let me know what you think of the album.
You can purchase the new album Two Eleven here!

No comments:

Post a Comment